Feeding toddlers is so obnoxious. Some days I think I’m an awesome mom because I am giving Little J his absolute favorite meal…and then I realize I never got the memo that his old favorite is now his least favorite item. It’s exhausting. He used to eat everything and it was easy peasy serving everyone the same dinner. In an effort to not be a short order cook, I have tried a few different ways to please everyone at my dinner table and most recently it was making veggie packed mac and cheese!
The secret veggie hidden in this dinner is cauliflower and I use this for two reasons, no color and the taste is subtle. You can use any veggie you want really…but be careful, I experimented this recipe with broccoli and that was a waste because it turned the mac and cheese green. Honestly, even I didn’t want to eat it.
Here we go:
- 1 Box of Elbow Macaroni (6-8 ounces) (I actually used quinoa elbow macaroni because it’s what I had in my pantry but you can use any type)
- 6 oz of frozen cauliflower
- 1 Cup of 1% Milk (you could really use any kind)
- 2 Tablespoons of Flour
- 1 and 1/4 Cups of sharp cheddar Cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- Pepper to taste
- Bread Crumbs
- Cook Pasta according to the package directions, strain and set aside.
- Cook the cauliflower according to the package. I used the steamer pack of frozen cauliflower so it was a quick 5 microwave session.
- Throw the cooked cauliflower into a food processor and puree. You may need to add a bit of hot water or milk to help cream this up.
- Combine the milk and flour in a medium saucepan, stirring with whisk until smooth. Cook this over medium heat and continue stirring with a whisk for about 2 minutes until the consistency is thick .
- Stir in the cheese, salt and pepper
- Pour in the purred cauliflower and stir until smooth
For littles, I serve this veggie packed meal in a big bowl with grilled chicken strips on top. For adults, I toast up a few bread crumbs and sprinkle them on top of the mac and cheese and serve next to grilled chicken and a fresh salad.
That’s it! Super Simple. Super Easy.