Busy moms love crock pots. Or, at least this busy mom loves a crock pot meal! I search high and low and often do a little experimenting on what we can throw in the crock pot so I don’t have to worry about it later. That is how this crock pot recipe came to be. It was one of those days where I really needed to go to the store and decided to search my pantry to see if I could push off the grocery shopping for just one more day. I had a protein- spicy sausage and a few other staple crock pot soup ingredients- canned tomatoes, broth and beans but I wanted a noodle of some sort and we were plain out of that! Then I spotted the quinoa….
This was an M Family crowd pleaser! It’s the perfect meal to pour into a bowl and sit with on the couch watching your favorite show. It’s a hearty soup so even J feels full after one large serving!
- 1 pound of spicy sausage (ground or links)
- 3/4 cup of uncooked quinoa (rinsed)
- 2 cans of diced tomatoes
- 1 can of Great Northern Beans- drained and rinsed
- 1 white onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons of garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon of crushed red pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon of dried rosemary (my favorite!)
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 6 cups of beef brother (or vegetable)
- S & P
- 3 cups of spinach, coarsely chopped
- If using link sausage, slice the sausage and saute in a hot pan with oil until the sausage is browned on both sides. If using ground sausage, throw this in during the next step.
- Place all the ingredients except the spinach in the crock pot. Stir well! Cook on low heat for 8 hours.
- 10 minutes prior to serving, stir in the spinach until wilted.
- Scoop into large bowls and serve with even larger spoons (or smaller ones but wheres the fun in that!)
You all know that I always love alternatives to my recipes so here they go:
- Use chicken instead of sausage! Throw raw chicken in with the rest of the ingredients and cool on low heat for 8 hours. Before serving, shred the chicken with two forks and place back into the soup!
- Not a meat/poultry fan? Cool! Omit it completely and use veggie broth instead of beef!
- Try dicing up some kale instead of spinach!
That’s it! Enjoy!
Linking up with the creative bloggers at Your Inspired Design Link Party- Go check out what they have come up with this week!