Happy Friday my friends! It’s March, so in an early celebration of St. Patrick’s Day, I wanted to share my yummy Green Power Smoothie recipe. I started drinking green smoothies about three years ago and I’ve been hooked every since. I even drank them while pregnant with Little J. It was a fantastic way to jam pack a whole lot of nutrients into my body when most other food items were making me sick.
My favorite time to drink a smoothie is in the morning. I find that knowing I have ingested a lovely delicious healthy smoothie, helps me make better eating choices throughout the remainder of the day.
What I love about this smoothie in particular is that it completely omits yogurt as a thickening option. Often, I find that yogurt is packed with sugar and although Greek yogurt is normally better for you, I struggle with that bitter after taste when I put it into my smoothies. Enter: The Avocado. It adds the perfect about of creaminess and completely takes the place of yogurt. Let’s not ignore all the wonderful added benefits and nutrients that are in an avocado!
Not that I make drinking all night a common activity but every so often I will have the occasional extra glass of champagne or wine that makes the next morning feel….a little rough. I love whipping up this green smoothie the next morning to replenish my body of vitamins, plus the ice cold feel of the drink is refreshing!
I love this recipe because it includes ingredients that I would regularly have in my home. Little J is banana and avocado obsessed and I love sneaking spinach into our meals to get some veggies into the boys (Big J included.) Feel free to use any brand of coconut water. I know they now come in additional flavors which would had some fun flavor to this smoothie, but keep an eye out on that sugar content!
Simple and easy, just throw all the ingredients into a blender and blend until you get your desired consistency. Feel free to add additional coconut water if it is too creamy for your pallet.
Once you have everything blended grab some glasses, straws and pour away! I love having my smoothie in my stemless wine glasses. To me, it looks a little more scrumptious!
Looks yummy right???? Well here is the official recipe:
- 2 Cups of Spinach
- 1/2 cup of carrots (I prefer shredded for easy blending)
- 1 small avocado or 1/2 of a large avocado
- 1 Banana
- 8oz of coconut water
- 1 tsp of honey or agave (optional)
- Throw all the above ingredients into your blender and hit START!!
This amount normally makes three servings or two really large servings 🙂 What I love about this recipe is that I have been making variations of it since Little J was a little Little J. He now comes running whenever he hears my blender, which is pretty sad for him when I’m using the blender to make pesto or a quick tomato sauce. He is less impressed with those items.
A few things….
- Feel free to get creative with these ingredients! Use kale instead of spinach or throw in strawberries instead of a banana, or use both!
- Avocados are simply wonderful but careful not to over due it. They have a high fat content (The good fat!!!) but if you are enjoying one in your smoothie, make sure you skip it in your salad or sandwich later on the day.
- If you omit the carrot completely, you may not need any honey or agave at all! The carrot adds a pretty clear flavor. When I first introduced these to Little J, I added a little bit of honey to hide the flavor. I have since, slowly, decreased the amount of use and now he sips away without any sweetener in there at all! To each their own but of course that ingredient is optional dependent upon your toddlers and your tastebuds!
Other than that, you are good to go!
Linking up this week with the crafty bloggers at Your Inspired Design – Check out what they are working on this week!